I used to dread the gym in January. There were ‘newbes’ everywhere. None of them practiced any form of gym etiquette. They would step in front of you to hop on a piece of equipment. They would not put their shit away when they were done. They clearly had no idea what the hell they are doing, but would still get annoyed with you if you offered any sort of suggestion. Worst of all, they don’t wipe down the equipment when they were done. Savages! I would long for February when all these slack assed fatties returned to their donuts, coffee and lay-z-boy.
In the 30+ years of my existence, I was never a ‘New Year’s Resolutioner.’ That all changed New Year’s 2010. It so happened that I purchased P90x. I started it the first week of January and I lost 26 lbs. I was thrilled with my results. I also had my most successful cycling season that year. I started strong and I rode around 3,400 miles that year. The most ever!
Well I am still not what you call a ‘New Year’s Resolutioner’ however, I now have a new found appreciation of examining your goals on a periodic basis. January 1 is as good a day as any, although I think it is prudent to examine your goals and progress throughout the year.
On the CYCLEBUTTCRACK Facebook page I posted some of my ‘Resolutions.’ I got some great responses! There are some really die hard CYCLEBUTTCRACK fans out there! Some of them are shooting for 8,000 miles and beyond. However the one that really caught my eye was a gentleman who is shooting for a century a week for the year. He is even going to take it one step further and ride 60 centuries in his 60th year. Here is a link to his blog discussing his cycling exploits.
So what are my goals?
- Ride 5,000 miles. This will be difficult, especially with Seattle’s weather (I hate riding in the rain) but I think it can be done.
- Sell more jerseys! CYCLEBUTTCRACK has been an awesome venture. The support, response and customers have really been awesome! The one thing missing is sales. I am still working through my initial order of 100 jerseys. I would love to sell thousands of jerseys every day and make millions and ride organized rides all over the world to promote the jerseys, but more realistically, I would like to sell enough CYCLEBUTTCRACK products to buy a couple nice bikes, produce a variety of jerseys and t-shirts and justify me riding many, many organized rides every year.
- Ride RAGBRAI. It looks like so much fun! I also think that this would be a great opportunity for CYCLEBUTTCRACK. I need to sell more jerseys in order to afford the trip and have CYCLEBUTTCRACK have a good showing there.
- I want to lose 30 lbs. If I want to be stronger on the bike, I need to be lighter on the bike.
- I want to get my architectural license. Yup, I went to architectural school. I am so close. I took my last exam on the 21st of December. Hopefully I will find out if I passed soon.
- I want to get back into my career. Like many I lost my job in 2009. I was lucky to find another gig that I enjoy, but my time away from architecture really made me appreciate what I had. I want to get back to that. Of course if goal number 2 goes well enough, I could see myself riding and promoting CYCLEBUTTCRACK full time. Even so, at some level I will always be involved with architecture.
Well that is it. If anyone actually reads this, please let me know what you think. 🙂